As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This high-protein, simple, and satisfying breakfast is one of our current faves. You can use any veggies you have in the fridge, simply cut them small and let them get a little bit crispy in the pan. Season them, transfer them to a bowl, and use the same pan to toast the pumpkin seeds. You can also buy pre-toasted pumpkin seeds, just be sure they have the hulls removed (they should be greenish). Pumpkin seeds are one of nature’s superstars, high in protein, iron, and zinc, and more affordable than most nuts!
This is delicious on its own, with some scrambled tofu, or stuffed into a tortilla as a burrito filling. You can also just use tortilla chips to scoop it up and eat for breakfast or as a snack. Enjoy!
Toasted Pepita Breakfast Hash
- 1 large waxy potato, yukon gold, red, blue, diced
- 1 cup of onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 cup of bell pepper (any color), diced
- 1 cup of mushrooms, crimini/white/etc, diced
- 1/4 cup of fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped
- 1/3 cup of pumpkin seeds, raw or pre- toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon of medium/high heat oil (avocado, grape seed, sunflower, canola, etc)
- Optional: Skip oil and use a bit of water or broth in a non stick pan instead
- Start by heating 1/2 Tbsp of oil over medium heat (or see note above to make oil free). When hot, add onion to pan along with paprika and chili powder, and cover with lid, let cook 1-2 minutes over medium-low heat until softened a bit. Remove lid, add garlic and bell pepper and stir fry until onion begins to brown a bit.
- Add mushrooms and potatoes to pan and stir to coat. Cover with lid and let cook, mostly undisturbed for 10 minutes or so, stirring occasionally until potatoes are soft. Season with salt, pepper, and fresh cilantro or parsley.
- Transfer to a bowl to keep warm, and wipe out pan if needed. Add remaining 1/2 Tbsp of oil and pumpkin seeds to pan. Cook over low heat until they begin to brown lightly, stirring often. Sprinkle on top of hash and serve with condiments of choice. Wrap up in a tortilla for a breakfast burrito or eat as is. Enjoy!
Disclaimer: Although plantbasedonabudget.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, kindly note that these are only estimates. Nutritional information may be affected based on the product type, the brand that was purchased, and in other unforeseeable ways. Plantbasedonabudget.com will not be held liable for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information. If you need to follow a specific caloric regimen, please consult your doctor first.