As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This crispy and golden Buttery Lemon Tofu will convert even the biggest tofu skeptics out there. It is packed with flavor, infused with that wonderful butter smell and it is extremely easy to prepare. As we always say, there can never be too many delicious tofu recipes to choose from. Let’s see how to whip up this one!
Buttery Lemon Tofu
- 1 16-ounce block of extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
- ¼ tablespoon of soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 2 tablespoons of Flora salted vegan butter
- 1 medium onion diced
- Steamed asparagus cut into one-inch pieces
- 3 cloves of garlic cloves
- Turn the tofu onto its side lengthwise and cut it into slices. Then, cut those slices into 2 triangles. This should yield about 16 triangles.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, lemon juice, and turmeric. Set aside.
- In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, heat the Flora vegan butter. Add the onion and asparagus and saute for 1 minute or until onions become tender and translucent. Stir in the garlic and saute for 1 more minute.
- Place the tofu slices directly onto the pan (scoot the veggies out of the way with a spatula) and cook for 1 minute on each side or until lightly browned on each side.
- Pour in the soy sauce mixture and cook for 3 minutes, flip the tofu slices over and cook for 3 more minutes or until the tofu absorbs all the liquid.
Disclaimer: Although plantbasedonabudget.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, kindly note that these are only estimates. Nutritional information may be affected based on the product type, the brand that was purchased, and in other unforeseeable ways. Plantbasedonabudget.com will not be held liable for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information. If you need to follow a specific caloric regimen, please consult your doctor first.
Oil vs Butter
If you are a tofu regular, like us, then you’re probably used to cooking it in your pan with oil (olive oil or any other neutral oil like canola or sunflower oil). But here comes this Buttery Lemon Tofu to disrupt the olive oil + tofu association. Turns out that cooking tofu in plant-based butter (we used Flora Plant Butter) is a game-changer and it adds a really unique flavor (and golden color!) to the otherwise flavorless white tofu.
More points for butter in this tofu world? Add a tablespoon to your favorite tofu scramble recipe. Trust us, it will make your everyday scramble feel like a delicious brunch menu item.
Roasted Potatoes Perfect Companion
If you’re wondering what you could eat this Butter Lemon Tofu with (apart from on its own because it is that good!), then there are a few amazing companions out there that could do it justice. Our favorite choice is some crispy diced potatoes in the pan (or baked!), the intense and amazing flavors of the tofu go so well with the soft flavors of the potatoes.
Have you tried cooking tofu with plant-based butter before?
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- My favorite knives
- Small Whisk
- Small Bowls
- Frying Pan
- Garlic press
- Wooden Spoon
- Serving Platter
Photos by Alfonso Revllla